Friday, July 12, 2013

Genesis of crosswind kite ideas


I worked on a project with my dad about 30 years ago to develop airplane-shaped kites as a means of power generation. 

Over a period of several years in the late 1970's to early 1980's, my dad and I built and tested a variety of kites. These included 2-foot wingspan kites that we flew by hand on 2 lines, as well as 6-foot wingspan kites that I flew on one line using radio control.  As a result of that flight-testing and much computer time on a very early home computer, in 1980 my dad wrote an article called “Crosswind Kite Power” that was published in the Journal of Energy:


The publication of this technical article got the attention of editors at Smithsonian magazine, who ran an article about new uses for kites.  My dad and I were interviewed and a photo of me flying a 30-inch wingspan two-line airplane-shaped kite was included in the article.  This was published in June, 1982. 

Funding for wind energy research was not available, so power generation using kites had to wait until a company called Makani Power read my dad's Journal of Energy article and has continued to pursue research in large-scale power generation using kites.  Here is Saul Griffith, then leader of Makani, in a 2009 TED talk:


Here's Makani now:


The genesis of the original Crosswind Kite Power article is described in a talk at Stanford in 2010 at the airborne wind energy conference:

No comments:

Post a Comment